Re: A proposed solution

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:37:34 -0700
To: "David Carlisle" <david@dcarlisle.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <XML-uri@w3.org>
David,

What does URI canonicalization have to do with conformance? What error
are you talking about - what will break? There is nothing in the current
namespace spec that prevents an application from deducing that two
things are identical at any level in the processing so I am interested
in hearing what you build your assumptions on.

> For namespace processing that is not sufficient. You must guarantee
> that the URI specific normalisations are not done. Or to phrase it
> another way mandate that the namespace parser knows no URI schemes.
>
> A processor that applies case folding to the host name and so
> accepts this
>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>      xmlns:xsl="http://WWW.W3.ORG/1999/XSL/Transform">
>
> as an XSL stylesheet is non conforming and in error.
>
> It would not at all be an improvement over the current situation
> if the namespace spec was changed so that processors could or could
> not accept this as XSL depending on how much they knew about the http
> URI scheme.

Henrik