some uses of relative URI as namespace names

The only examples posted so far of people using relative URI as
namespace names (as opposed to inventing test cases) are some of mine.

While I don't think my uses were strange I don't claim they are
necessarily representative of anything, I thought that I should have a
look round to find out who else is doing this, it's a bit hard to
search without regex support in the search engines, but a few minutes
in alta vista and google turned up the following.

I don't offer these to argue any particular side of the argument
but just as test cases from real deployed software with which to
test any proposed changes to the spec.

David

Several examples all using the same xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'
declaration, I give three instances, the last one being presumably the
most authoritative.  Looking for #RowsetSchema in your favourite search
engine will apparently turn up more. Perhaps this is the "microsoft example"
of legend.

http://www.inquiry.com/techtips/xml_pro/10min/10min0100/10min0100.asp
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Jul-1999/0184.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/articles/xmlintegrationinado.asp

Then one (or rather three) from xalan/lotusxsl. I mentioned before
that java xslt engines use absolute URI pointing at nothing. Xalan
uses that system as well but in addition appears to make extensive use
of relative uri.

http://xml.apache.org/xalan/extensions.html

 2. Declare a unique namespace for each extension prefix

    xmlns:prefix=URI

    The prefix identifies the namespace, and URI is one of the following:

       An arbitrary (but unique) string that matches the prefix
       attribute of an lxslt:component element in the stylesheet.
       Example: xmlns:ext1="xyz"

       [class:]FQCN where FQCN is a Java fully qualified class
       name. If the extension only involves static class method
       calls (no instance constructors or instance method calls)
       precede the class name with class:.  Example:
       xmlns:ext2="java.util.Hashtable"

       The file name or URL for another document that contains the
       lxslt:component element.  Example:
       xmlns:ext3="my-component.txt"

      Xalan identifies the URI by working through the list
      above. In other words, if the URI does not match an
      lxslt:component element prefix in the stylesheet, Xalan
      attempts to map the URI to a fully qualified class name on
      the class path, and so on.