Re: Is a namesapce a resource? - was: duck

From: David Carlisle <david@dcarlisle.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:04:17 +0100 (BST)
To: keshlam@us.ibm.com
CC: xml-uri@w3.org

   >I would argue that even if there is a retrievable entity there is
   >no necessary connection between that docuement and the namespace.
   >Until a week ago I would not have thought that was at all contentious.

   I think that any such connection is outside the scope of the Namespace
   spec. It may be within the scope of a future spec, but I don't think we
   have to consider it now.

But we do. If as Tim Berners-Lee and Dan Connolly request, the
decision is to change the namespace name from
being a name, to being the URI identifying the namespace as a
resource, then if the URI used a retrievable uri
scheme and querying the URI returns a document then one would have the
right to expect that the document had some connection with the
resource.

David