Re: A proposed solution

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> I am a single document parser which when parsing a document find three
> relative links:
>
>     "foo"
>     "bar"
>     "foo"
>
> because I know that I am a single document parser, I know that within
> the context of a single document, "foo" and "bar" can be used as unique
> identifiers. I can therefore deduce that the first and third links are
> identical. Coincidentally, existing tools that use literal
> interpretation would have come to the same conclusion.

The trouble is that in XML, a single document may be spread over multiple
entities with different base URIs.  If the first "foo" appears in the
document entity and the second "foo" in an external parsed entity
on a different web site, then Literal and Absolutize will mean
different things.

	"You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
		--fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know