Re: Uncertainty on xml-dev

At 07:41 PM 2000-06-08 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

>> I also submit that there is actual practice (David Carlisle's examples)
>> where there is no intention of attaching any significance to a namespace.
>
>that example didn't have _no_ significance. the essential feature
>required was that it be a namespace other than the default and other
>than the XSL namespace.

Well said.  That's better.

Although I might press for the yet weaker "that the names in it be
recognizable as neither in the default nor in the XSL spaces of names."
Could the desired effect have been accomplished with two namespaces, or as
many namespaces as you had local element names to cover?

>> Here the specification bug is that the ns-attr
>> is a required attribute,
>
>I don't understand this. In what sense is it required?

You can't declare a namespace prefix without the RHS value for the
'attribute,' because of the way the prefix declaration is buried in the
attribute syntax.  You could have achieved the desired effect with just a
prefix.  Your local names didn't need a name for their space, just a
prefix.  You demonstrated this by using a traditional garbage name,
comparable to John Q. Public.