Re: Divide the problem

Julian Reschke wrote:

> I think that one of the reasons why this dicussiosn takes so long and
> progresses so slowly is that several issues have been thrown together. Maybe
> we should focus on properly defining them, and to then discuss them
> separately.
>
> #1 is the original question about how to handle relative URI refs in a
> namespace name.
>
> #2 produces the most heat here: What is the namespace name? Is it really
> just a name which happens to follow the URI ref syntax (a), or should it be
> treated as an URI [+fragment id] (b).
>
> (a) is what the official W3C recommendation says.

Please cite evidence of this claim. I find it to
be entirely false:

"[Definition:] An XML namespace is a collection of names, identified by
a URI reference
[RFC2396],"

"[Definition:] The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the namespace
name identifying
the namespace. "

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/

> (b) seems to be what TBL
> and some others would prefer. Even *if* one would go for (b), I claim that
> you still wouldn't be able to put something at the specified location, until
> there exists a W3C recommendation which actually defines what to expect
> there.

Interesting claim. I see no justification.

> Specifically, the new approach of putting XML Schema files at
> locations specified by W3C namespace names should be immediately stopped
> until there is a consensus about this.

Again, why not? It works, and it's useful.