Re: URIs quack like a duck

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 04:22:15PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Tim Berners-Lee scripsit:
> > Therefore, your home page is a namespace.
>
> Wow.  Now I begin to understand where you are coming from.  You actually
> do believe, then, that a namespace can *be* a document.  But if so,
> why can't a namespace *be* an Internet mailbox?  (Since the Namespace
> Rec tolerates either).  Presumably because you can't fetch an entity
> body for a mailbox.

Sure. A namespace can be an Internet mailbox. Just because you can't
immediately fetch an entity body (i.e. you have to send me mail and
possibly ask me for it).

I.e. there are only Documents. Everything is a Document. And a
Document and a Resource are the same thing....

> Me, I see a namespace as belonging to an entirely different ontological
> class from a document.  I no more identify a namespace with a document
> than I identify a document with a brick.

This is actually one of the clearer fundamental axioms of the web:
Everything is a document. It was even one of three things on the
slide at the newcomers orientation at the AC meeting...

> I suppose you would counter that accessing http://www.w3.org doesn't retrieve
> a document per se, but only a representation of a document....

Exactly....

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com