XML 1.0 in flux

At 10:27 AM 6/2/00 -0700, Sam Hunting wrote:
>A similar process seems to have been contemplated by the editors of the
>published (not secret) Recommendation (not Note) for XML 1.0:
>
><extract>
>Note: The colon character within XML names is reserved for
>experimentation with name spaces. Its meaning is expected to be
>standardized at some future point, at which point those documents using
>the colon for experimental purposes may need to be updated. (There is
>no guarantee that any name-space mechanism adopted for XML will in fact
>use the colon as a name-space delimiter.) In practice, this means that
>authors should not use the colon in XML names except as part of
>name-space experiments, but that XML processors should accept the colon
>as a name character
></extract>
>
>This portion of the XML 1.0 specification has not been subject to any
>errata or editorial change -- but it has presumably been overridden by
>some a priori axiom?

If I remember right, someone (John Cowan?) suggested that this language
would be removed in XML 2nd Edition, currently under development, and
replaced with a pointer to Namespaces in XML.

Check out the threads coming off the discussion described in:
http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=539

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth