Response to comment on Namespaces in XML 1.1

From: <xml-names-editor@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:08:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: Malachi de AElfweald <malachi@tremerechantry.com>
Cc: xml-names-editor@w3.org

This is the XML Core Working Group's formal response to your comment
sent to the Namespaces comment list.  We have treated it as a comment
on the Namespaces 1.1 draft even though you did not originally send
it as such.  Your comment is archived at

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-names-editor/2003Feb/0005.html

Please let us know whether you accept our resolution of our comment,
or wish to have an objection formally recorded.  If we do not hear
from you within 10 days we will assume that you accept our response.

We have reconsidered the terminology used for names that are in no
namespace.  To avoid confusion over the word "null", and the incorrect
inference that there is a "null namespace", we will say that the
namespace name of a name in no namespace "has no value".  This has
the additional advantage of bringing Namespaces 1.1 into line with the
terminology used in the Infoset spec.