Re: Decryption Transform processing question

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:45:24 -0400
To: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: "Takeshi Imamura" <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>, xml-encryption@w3.org

On Monday 15 July 2002 08:06 pm, merlin wrote:
> C14n isn't necessarily right because it will not output entity
> declarations. I was hoping to punt to the serialized form that X was
> constructed from; but, of course, there may not have been an original
> serialized form.
>
> Actually, that's a problem: Our defined wrapping (emit entity
> declarations) cannot be implemented on DOM; DOM does not expose that
> information. Is it really necessary? Could we assume/require that
> serialized/encrypted XML does not use entity references and strip that
> text from the spec? In that case, c14n would be fine, presuming that X
> isn't a weird node-set, and life would be easier.

I'm happy to constrain it in a well defined way. Regardaless, X is supposed
to be a node set corresponding to a serialized #Element or #Content, so I'm
not expecting anything funky on that note. On the entity point, your
speaking of section 4.3.4, "If the parsing context contains any general
entities, then emit a document type declaration that provides entity
declarations declaring the entities." ?