Re: FW: Re: rsa/oaep

The whole concept of "a long term naming conventon for the use of OAEP"
seems odd to me. There are increasing doubts about the extent to which
OAEP actually strengthens things in practice and increasing doubts that
its promoise of "Optimal" is true. I believe that by the time people
want to use SHA-256 and a different Mask Generator Fuction, etc., they
are going to want to do something other than OAEP.

Seems to me that we should stick with the current implemented URI for
the currently implemented algorithm with the current parameters. If and
when it is desired to change one or more of the possible algorithmic
parameters which are not provided for but are fixed as an impliation of
the current URI, then a new URI should be picked which probably allows
all of the algorithms parameters allowed in the ASN.1 syntax. But as I
say, my guess is that by the time there is really pressure for this,
people will be doing ROAEP (Really Optimal Asymmetric Encryption
Padding, a name I just made up) or something...

Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       dee3@torque.pothole.com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com