Re: possible DoS attack

On Thursday 11 April 2002 13:08, Aleksey Sanin wrote:
> I don't suggest
> to change the XML Encryption design but I do think that a warning
> about possible problem is a good idea.

http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-core/#sec-Denial
$Revision: 1.181 $ on $Date: 2002/04/12 20:42:15 $ GMT
[[
6.4 Denial of Service

 This specification permits recursive processing. For example, the
following scenario is possible: EncryptedKey A requires EncryptedKey B to
be decrypted, which itself requires EncryptedKey A! Or, an attacker might
submit an EncryptedData for decryption that references network resources
that are very large or continually redirected. Consequently, applications
should be able to identify such attacks and restrict arbitrary recursion
and the total amount of processing and networking resources a request can
consume.
]]