RE: On 5.5 key agreement

From: Amir Herzberg <AMIR@newgenpay.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:46:30 +0300
To: "'merlin'" <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: "Xml Encrypt (E-mail)" <xml-encryption@w3.org>
Merlin replied to me,

> The KM function is a standard mechanism used by ANSI 9.42 (and others)
> and from there by IETF documents (e.g., RFC 2631) <skip>

I did not mean to protest against the particular KM function. My complaint
was that the KM function should not be `burned in` the spec as there may be
reasons, such as a possible future crypto weakness in the particular KM
construction, for people to prefer another KM function. Furthermore I noted
that the KM function should be part of the AgreementMethod. Indeed RFC 2631
defines a particular key agreement method (Diffie-Hellman of course) and
therefore the fact he defines the KM construction there is exactly in line
with my suggestion.

So...
> >My proposed solution, as I indicated above, is simply to
> have this aspect
> >covered by the AgreementMethod and removed from the spec.

Best, Amir Herzberg