Re: [xml-dev] version numbers and infosets

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 07:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: davidc@nag.co.uk (David Carlisle)
Cc: jcowan@reutershealth.com, elharo@metalab.unc.edu, xml-dev@lists.xml.org, xml-editor@w3.org

David Carlisle scripsit:

> > That means that on mainframe platforms, XML files are not plaintext files
> > and vice versa.  As a matter of justice, this is intolerable.
>
> No, it just means that the files should specify an encoding such that
> the NEL byte in the file maps to #10.

Well, maybe you can do that for EBCDIC files (although it means having
two distinct mappings on the platform), but extended-ASCII files won't
work that way: plaintext expects NEL (#x85).

> Ie the ebcdic - ascii/unicode translation should do as you'd expect if
> doing an ftp transfer in ascii mode.

You can do that if you are transferring files, but not if you are sharing
them via NFS or similar.

--
John Cowan                                   jcowan@reutershealth.com
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"