Re: Regarding XML Proposed Erratum 71

At 13:14 2001 06 14 +0900, Martin Duerst wrote:
>Dear XML core WG,
>
>By chance, I just discovered Proposed Erratum 71:
>
>http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2000/10/proposed-xml10-2e-errata#PE71
>
>It is true that this is a bit vague in not saying who is
>responsible for the escaping, but this has been fixed by
>PE 51/E4 to say that the XML processor is responsible:
>
>http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2000/10/proposed-xml10-2e-errata#PE51
>http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-2e-errata#E4

Right, but I think this erratum is wrong, so I'm asking to
reopen this issue.  A system id should be a string to the
XML processor, and that's what production 11 makes clear.
Escaping may be necessary before doing something URI-ish
with the string, but that should be done by the process
doing something URI-ish, not the XML processor.  Norm
explains how an entity resolution process is one example
of why the XML processor should not to the escaping.

paul