External entities and whitespace handling in attributes

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:48:26 +0900
To: xml-editor@w3.org
Cc: yamagi_t@soft.hitachi.co.jp
Dear XML Editors,

Mr. Yamagishi from Hitachi has pointed out the following
problem in the XML spec and the errata list:

The discussion in the published errata Nr. 24
(http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata#E24,
see also http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata#E61)

mentions external parsed entities. This seems to be in
conflict with:

Well-Formedness Constraint: No External Entity References
          Attribute values cannot contain direct or indirect entity
          references to external entities.

Can you please correct the Erratum in question, or tell
us what we did not understand (and in that case try to
make sure that the wording is improved so that such
misunderstandings don't happen anymore).

Many thanks and regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst