Processor vs parser

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
Date: 24 Jun 2000 15:45:23 +0200
To: xml-editor@w3.org

I just noticed that the XML recommendation in some places uses the
term 'parser' where it really should have used 'processor'. The third
paragraph of the recommendation introduces the term processor and this
is used throughout, except in these cases:

  3.3.3: "All attributes for which no declaration has been read should
  be treated by a non-validating parser as if declared CDATA."

  4.4.3: "...If a non-validating parser does not include the
  replacement text..."

  E: "... because given an initial b the parser cannot know
  which b in the model is being matched..."  There is also another
  occurrence just below.

Clearly, in these cases 'processor' is really what is meant, and the
term 'parser' is just a leftover from SGML terminology.

As near as I can tell, this is not listed in the errata document, so I
hope this is a new 'bug'.

--Lars M.