Request for clarification (excluding text declaration)

From: Yuji Ichikawa <mervyno@cyber.email.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:12:11 +0900
To: xml-editor <xml-editor@w3.org>
I request for clarification of excluding text declaration from the
replacement text of external parameter entity.

If I write (1) in the internal/external DTD subset, and E1.ent contains
leading text declaration ([77] TextDecl), I expect the replacement text
of %e1; excludes text declaration.

(1)
    <!ENTITY % e1 SYSTEM "E1.ent">
    %e1;

It's obvious that this exclusion is required, though this is not
particularly stated in XML 1.0 specification.
But I think the clarification is needed, since Microsoft's MSXML
erroneously includes text declaration in some cases.