Re: Possible error in XML spec

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 08:36:29 -0700
To: "Bryan Brown" <bbrown@netmagic.net>, <xml-editor@w3.org>
At 12:35 AM 5/1/00 -0700, Bryan Brown wrote:

In production 82 the NotationDecl is defined as having either  a ExternalID or a PublicID, however an ExternalID (production 75) can begin with  'PUBLIC' and following parts of the production do not match the production for  PublicID (83). A parser can not determine the correct syntax.  A parser which is parsing a notation is going to look to see  if the token matches an external id and it is going to see 'PUBLIC' and say ok  it is an External ID  Am i missing something here ?, because no one else has  reported this error. I find that hard to believe.  Bryan XML-Technologies.com
<<<<

Nope, the effect of the grammar is that a <!NOTATION can have a PUBLIC
ID *without* an External ID, unlike an entity.  I think it's correct -Tim