Re: UTF-16BL/LE,... (was: Re: I18N issues with the XML Specification

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:26:20 -0700
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org
Cc: xml-editor@w3.org, w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org
At 05:44 PM 4/12/00 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
>The first issue I have (almost) completed is the one
>on UTF-16BE/LE, at:
>http://www.w3.org/International/Group/issues/xml/Overview.html#utf16.be.le

For the record, and this will come as no surprise, I totally oppose this
change, because I do *not* think 16LE and 16BE are appropriate for use with
XML, as they fly in the face of XML's orientation towards interoperability
across heterogeneous systems.  I think XML entities encoded in any flavor
of UTF-16 should always have a BOM; exactly what the current spec [correctly
IMHO] says.

I have never heard a remotely plausible argument or use-case for why you
might want to create an XML document in UTF-16 without a BOM.

Sorry, Martin. -Tim