Scope of | in XML-spec

From: miep <miep@www.belboek.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:55:45 +0200 (MET DST)
To: xml-editor@w3.org
Dear madam, sir,

I am implementing the XML-standard based on the recommendation
REC-xml-19980210. While implementing, I found some rather confusing rules
like [12] and [75]. These rules all have the form:
A B C
| D E F

The scope of the |-operator is clearly over both lines i.e. the intended
relation is technically speaking (A B C) | (D E F). Staying formal, the
relation expressed is A B (C | D) E F. Reading the standard, this last is
clearly not intended. I couldn't find a mentioning of the syntax used in
the standard.

Maybe it is wise to correct this in a future version. I can only guess
that you used this notation from the viewpoint of readability. In that
case I suggest a note or a comment in section 6 to avoid confusion for
other implementors.

Kind regards,

Roelant Ossewaarde
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
Nijmegen