Re: xml:space, xml:lang, and namespaces

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 21:04:48 -0700
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson), w3c-xml-schema-wg@w3.org
Cc: xml-editor@w3.org
At 10:08 AM 6/2/99 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>So now the problem as Richard formulated it comes around again.  Such
>a processor is actually in VIOLATION of the namespace spec IF it does
>what you say in the following document:
>
><root xml:space='ignore'>
> <z xmlns:evil="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
>  <foo evil:space="preserve">
>     <!-- preserving whitespace in here violates the namespace REC -->
>  </foo>

First of all, pardon me for being a broken record, but the actions of
*PROCESSORS* are unaffected by xml:space - check the spec.  I don't
understand what actions, in the context of the above document, would
be considered a violation of the namespace spec.  All the NS spec says
is which namespace URIs are in effect, and that is not ambiguous at
all in your example.  What am I missing? -Tim