Re: xml:space, xml:lang, and namespaces

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 02 Jun 1999 10:08:05 +0100
To: w3c-xml-schema-wg@w3.org
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, xml-editor@w3.org
Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> writes:

> At 10:15 AM 6/1/99 -0700, Andrew Layman wrote:
> . . .
> >It is unfortunately not spelled out in the spec precisely, but we had some
> >debate over whether other prefixes could be attached to
> >'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace', whether parsers were required to
> >match any prefix attached to 'http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace', etc.
> >and the answer was "no."
>
> Almost.  Yes, we had that discussion.  Yes, the premise is reasonable.
> Unfortunately, we failed to reach consensus that it was a good idea
> to write that into the spec; thus, per the spec, it is perfectly
> legal to say
>
> <z xmlns:evil="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
>
> Furthermore, any reasonable implementation of a namespace-aware
> API and application would probably handle <foo evil:space="preserve">
> in the expected way.  But the spec doesn't require it. -Tim

So now the problem as Richard formulated it comes around again.  Such
a processor is actually in VIOLATION of the namespace spec IF it does
what you say in the following document:

<root xml:space='ignore'>
 <z xmlns:evil="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace">
  <foo evil:space="preserve">
     <!-- preserving whitespace in here violates the namespace REC -->
  </foo>
 </z>
</root>

ht