Re: The role of transfer protocols

From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@jabber.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:16:54 -0700
To: David Hull <dmh@tibco.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
David Hull wrote:

> Whether it makes sense to build message delivery on top of document
> transfer protocols depends on what you're trying to move where and what
> tools are available.  I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but I would also
> look for more appropriate solutions, which is one reason I'm currently
> poring over SOAP/XMPP and SOAP/BEEP.

You might indeed look into XMPP (RFC 3920), the SOAP XMPP Binding
(JEP-0072), and the XMPP extension for advanced message processing

RFC 3920: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3920.txt
JEP-0072: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0072.html
JEP-0079: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0079.html

We developed JEP-0079 with input from the creator of BEEP, so I think it
does most of the key stuff you'd want for message-level acks and such.

Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation