RE: Status and links to Part 3

David Orchard writes:

> But I don't see the problem in firefox that you do.  I've tried with
> firefox 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2 on Win XP and 1.5.0.4 Server 2003.  My view
> is that the breaks should only be on whitespace.  The property URIs are
> never broken, just the text in the description.  I did see that the Part
> 2 Rec has a weird line break in firefox on the description of MEP name.

In my browser, which is Firefox 1.5.0.5 I get a very wide column for the
URIs, a very narrow one for description, and most of the rest off screen.
In the interest of full disclosure, my default fonts are a bit larger than
some people's.  To help you work around that, I made a separate screen
capture with my default font size turned down.

In some ways the worst problem, as usual, is with printing.  A screen shot
of a Print Preview is also attached.

> Perhaps a screen shot or refined description might help me?

Sure.  See attached GIFs.  Here's the map of filenames:

columnwidthproblems.gif:
the way it looks with my default font settings.

FireFoxFontSettings.gif:
the dialog box that shows those font settings, in case you want to try
them.  Note that my main default font size is set to 20.

columnwidthproblemswithTimesNewRoman12Pitch.gif: here's what it looks like
if I set my main default font size down to 12

FireFoxPrintPreview.gif:  Here's what you get if you do a Firefox Print
Preview, which usually is a pretty good hint as to how it all will look
printed.  When I've done the specs, this is what took the most time.

As to how to fix all of this:  I found when I wrote specs that I had to
play around with relative font sizes for URIs in the table.  Sometimes it
seems worthwhile to make the URI font sizes a bit smaller.  Also, it looks
like even given the fonts chosen, the column widths for the URIs are wider
than necessary.  You might want to look at some of the tables in the
published SOAP Recs.  They took quite a bit of fooling around to get a
plausible compromise, especially for printing.  Of course, it's also worth
checking all this stuff in other browsers.

Hope this is what you need.  Enjoy!

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation