RE: Propsed new issue: variability of encoding in Miffy

OK, I think I get it. Let's see...

I have a jpeg with at the binary level is a bunch of octets and at the
Infoset level is a bunch of base64 characters.
when this goes over an 8-bit clean transport, it can go as binary and
everything is fine. If it has to go over a none 8-bit clean transport
then it will be CTEed to 7-bit ( or possible base64 or quoted-printable
). But at the binary level it's still the same bunch of octets and at
the Infoset level it's the same bunch of base64 characters.

So I think what it happening here is that when things are sent a binary
( and 8-bit? ) no encoding/decoding occurs at the MIME level. For 7-bit.
base64 and quoted-printable encoding/decoding happens at the MIME layer.
In all cases the octets at the layer above MIME are the same.

Is this correct?

Gudge