Re: Proposal for generic MTOM format

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:11:49 -0400
To: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>, "Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Anish Karamarkar writes:

>> If we separate out section 3.2 as a part of
>> the separate document which is not SOAP
>> specific, isn't that the same as XInclude
>> with parse="binary"?

I don't think so.  My impression is that an XInclude can reference any web
resource, which is a quite weak contract packaging wise.  MTOM, as I
understand it, says:  xbinc:Include must be replaced with the resource
representation >>in the multipart MIME  stream in which the reference
occurs<<.   In other words, I see the MTOM serialization (though not
necessarily all embodiments of the abstract MTOM feature) as specifically
providing for data packaged together in a single stream.  Indeed, I would
argue that if we used generalized include in the MTOM serialization, it
should be limited to representations carried in that serialization.  It is
completely unacceptable to have to open a web connection to get these
message parts.

Perhaps this is a reason not to use generalized XInclude in MTOM?  In
other words, if you really mean Web-scale XInclude, with the possible need
to open external connections, use generalized XInclude (if it gets to
Rec.)  For local-only include use xbinc:Include?  I can see this either
way, but I think its essential that we call out separately the case where
messages are self-contained.  Thanks!

Noah

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142