Re: Proposed resolution for issue 440

On 6 Nov 2003, at 14:33, Martin Gudgin wrote:

>> For my part I think that requiring every attachment to have a
>> corresponding xbinc:Include is too restrictive because it
>> would effectively disallow use of existing attachment
>> techniques.
>
> I see this as a feature not a bug.

Interesting.

>> MTOM provides one approach to attachments but I
>> fail to see why it shouldn't be composable with alternative
>> mechanisms.
>
> Because the alternatives are not architecturally sound.

That's quite a claim. MIME based systems have been functioning quite
well without MTOM for some time now...

>> What gets broken in MTOM by allowing this flexibility ?
>
> The fact that the entire message is not an infoset.

And that's a problem for MTOM because ... ? Where you want the MTOM
abstraction to apply then you can use the MTOM facilities, where that
isn't important then you can use something else. Why does it have to be
all or nothing ?

>> The same reason we need an Include element in the current
>> formulation:
>> we need something to hang the MTOM processing magic on.
>
> I don't think multiple references need any processing magic beyond
> what xs:anyURI and the Representations header provide.

Only using some application specific referencing mechanism would mean
that you would lose the automatic benefits of the MTOM abstraction at
the points where the reference is made. E.g. If I sign some part of a
message that contains an xbinc:Include then I effectively sign the data
in the referenced attachment. If I sign some part of a message that
contains an application specific reference then I just sign the
reference. The suggestion I made for splitting the existing Include
into a soap header based anchor plus one or more references would unify
the model and support multiple references cleanly.

> I am fine with restricting freedom along one axis while allowing it in
> another.

Me too, but I would swap the axes.

Marc.