RE: Proposed resolution for issue 440

I see this as a feature not a bug.

> MTOM provides one approach to attachments but I
> fail to see why it shouldn't be composable with alternative
> mechanisms.

Because the alternatives are not architecturally sound.

> What gets broken in MTOM by allowing this flexibility ?

The fact that the entire message is not an infoset.

> >> Yes, thinking about this some more we could combine the
> functions of
> >> the representation header and the attachment anchor I suggested
> >> below.
> >> The combined header would then contain all the attachment metadata
> >> (mime type, content-location, content-id, ... in XML form
> and what we
> >> now think of as xbinc:Include elements would instead be
> intra-message
> >> references to the header. The key thing IMO is to have a normative
> >> mechanism for referring to such a combined header - the
> >> xbinc:IncludeRef in my example.
> >
> > Why, when we already have xs:anyURI?
> >
> The same reason we need an Include element in the current
> formulation:
> we need something to hang the MTOM processing magic on.

I don't think multiple references need any processing magic beyond what xs:anyURI and the Representations header provide.

> >> So you want to give applications freedom to use their own
> mechanisms
> >> for referring to representations within the SOAP message but take
> >> away the freedom of applications to use attachments
> outside the MTOM
> >> processing model - that seems a little inconsistent ?
> >
> > I don't think so. See crux above.
> >
> I don't see the connection ?

I am fine with restricting freedom along one axis while allowing it in another.

Gudge