Re: Representation header

Agreed. I'd go further and say that because of this, there's no need to
have a direct relationship between the MIME headers and those
represented in the XML. That said, the XML metadata should be used to
generate the MIME headers properly when creating a MTOM message out of
a non-MTOM message.

This should be easy to do in the case of a Representation header,
because the metadata has a defined relationship with the data (i.e.,
the <mtom:Representation> element's structure and semantics are known).
To make this possible with in-body mtom:Include, we will probably have
to dictate where to find the metadata for optimisation candidates
(e.g., as attributes on the parent element). If they aren't found,
we'll have to default to application/octet-stream and other sensible
defaults.

The task of creating a non-MTOM message out of a MTOM message is much
simpler, because the MIME headers are only used to come up with the
data (e.g., if there's content-transfer-encoding, etc.) that then needs
to be encoded into XML; they're not surfaced in the XML because the
metadata that's interesting to the application is already there.