RE: Content-free Header and Body elements

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:10:50 -0400
To: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Cc: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>, "Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM" <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, "xml-dist-app@w3.org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I agree, subject to making sure this doesn't take us back to WD.  The
standards for late changes in PR don't have very much wiggle room.  I
would like to see this as editorial clarification, but some others might
not.  Although I agree with the change, this is not worth a several
weeks/months delay in getting to PR.  I hope the W3C process will be
flexible enough to allow this as an editorial change on the way to Rec
status.  If so, I'm all for it.  Otherwise, I recommende we leave it as
is, go to Rec., and consider this as an erratum.  It's not broken as it
is, though certainly sub-optimal.  You can always  work around for now by
sending an empty <header>.    I don't think that in the next few months
there will be that many cases of intermediaries wanting to add headers to
messages that have none.   Bottom line, this is not worth a delay of weeks
or months.  It is worth fixing ASAP.  Agreed?

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Sent by: xml-dist-app-request@w3.org