Content-free Header and Body elements

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:16:20 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

Are the following messages semantically equivalent (namespace
declarations omitted for brevity)?
   <S:Envelope>
      <S:Header></S:Header>
      <S:Body><tns:foo/></S:Body>
   </S:Envelope>
and
   <S:Envelope>
      <S:Body><tns:foo/></S:Body>
   </S:Envelope>

In other words, if there are no headers, are message processors allowed
to insert/delete an empty Header element?  I believe the answer is yes,
as I can't find text that says otherwise.

And what if there are no EII's for the Body, can that be omitted?
   <S:Envelope>
      <S:Header><tns:foo/></S:Header>
   </S:Envelope>
and
   <S:Envelope>
   </S:Envelope>

This has implications for message normalization and the ability to sign
SOAP messages.
	/r$
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect