Re: PASWA, Include and Protocol Bindings and Content-Codings

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:48:11 +0200 (MEST)
To: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
cc: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> That's interesting. It's specific to HTTP, but I imagine that most
> transports will have an analogous function. In any case, if we go down a
> binding route, we'll need to specify something seperate for each transport
> anyway.

Yep, I was just using this as an example for a well known binding :) Most
mime-aware protocol  have a way to specify the encoding.

> Thinking out loud, if it were done as something like a HTTP
> content-coding, it would almost seem better to invent a new, non-XML
> syntax to allow it to be more compact and efficient to process (as well as
> not confusing the matter)...
Yes, I was thinking of something like HTTP chunks with a "channel"
identifier. A bit different from BEEP, as the addressing would be inside
the binary blob sent.

--
Yves Lafon - W3C