Re: Proposed Infoset Addendum to SOAP Messages with Attachments

In section 3. Using Media Types in XML, 3.1 defines the swa:MediaType
attribute.
As an alternative consider defining an XML namespace that injects the MIME
header keys into XML and having the spec say that senders SHOULD duplicate
the MIME headers used in packaging into the XML tag space.  This puts the
packaging info at hand for the app in a standard way, rather than having every
different API do it some slightly different way.  So for example, we would get
swa:Content-type amd swa:Content-length, etc.  Of course in this case the
namespace might be better named "MIMEHeaders:" or some such.

Also in 3.2 the swa:Binary type has a quite misleading name.  It is not binary
but a base64 encoded type with MIME attributes.  How about swa:typedBase64?
Again the name of the namespace isn't sensible as this section refers to
XML generally rather than SOAP (presumably the S in swa...).

John.

At 09:41 AM 3/25/2003 -0800, Martin Gudgin wrote:

>We have now posted the document illustrating an infoset approach to the
>attachment feature. You can find html[1], pdf[2] and word docs[3]. This
>document is intended to be a concrete realisation of the ideas laid out
>in the white paper at[4].
>
>Apologies for the delay.
>
>Gudge
>
>[1] http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/mgudgin/paswa/paswa.html
>[2] http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/mgudgin/paswa/paswa.pdf
>[3] http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/mgudgin/paswa/paswa.doc
>[4] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/02/26/binaryxml.html

John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100