Re: Opaque data, XML, and SOAP

At 12:13 PM -0500 3/11/03, Marc Hadley wrote:
>+1. IMO we need a standard mechanism for 'abstractly including'
>binary data in an infoset. By 'abstractly including' I mean that the
>data is included in an abstract sense rather than included literally
>as CIIs. 'Binary smart' processing can take account of the abstract
>inclusion, existing processing can ignore it.

I don't think we need that. In fact, I think we don't need any way to
include information in the Infoset that cannot actually be part of a
genuine XML document, and I find such attempts damaging and hostile
to XML.

SOAP may have a need to include binary data in its processing. If so,
then it needs to build on top of something other than XML and the XML
Infoset. XML is not appropriate for all uses.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |