Re: Opaque data, XML, and SOAP

From: Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 19:37:04 -0800 (PST)
To: "John J. Barton" <John_Barton@hpl.hp.com>, Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>
Cc: Don Box <dbox@microsoft.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

Hi John,

--- "John J. Barton" <John_Barton@hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>    We should have a standard that allows a sender to combine XML
> with some
> non-XML data in a way that a receiver can parse the XML and access
> the non-XML data.  It shouldn't matter if the XML is SOAP or not.
Don't we have enough standards already? Binary data can be linked in
many ways:

1. external: xlink, hrefs, XInclude, other?
2. internal: base64, hex, data: URIs
3. packaged: MIME, DIME, zip, whatever

It's not reasonable to expect we can come up with one standard that
will satisfy all conflicting requirements people have: size,
efficiency, random access, streaming, chunking, parser transparency,
DOM-compatibility, ability to apply filters, security, compression,
you name it. IMHO it's clear that more than one way to do it is
needed. Which one is best for you depends on what you want to do.

Best wishes, Paul.