RE: Proposed text for Base64-specific optimization

Noah,

I think I was listed as a co-actionee only because I originally
volunteered for this item. However, as I couldn't give it the required
attention to get it ready for today's call, it was assigned to you
instead.

That said, I here's a baker's dozen of comments, some of which relate
directly to your proposal, others of which are more general.

Cheers

Gudge

General comments:

1.	I'm beginning to wonder what the value of the abstract feature
is. Given that its 'use' is hop-by-hop, I wonder why don't just spec the
serialization and transport pieces and be done. They are, after all,
what will provide interop. All the abstract feature gives us is a single
property that is not externally visible.

2.	I also wonder if it would be better to describe the mechanics
ONLY in terms of deserialization, much as we did for the SOAP encoding
in Part 2. Including the serialization details confuses things.

3.	I'm wondering whether our notion of binding is too monolithic.
It seems to me that it needs breaking into two parts: serialization and
transmission.

Specific

3.	Section 1.2. I'm concerned that the inserted sentence will lead
people to believe that they have to have the canonical lexical rep
around in the first instance, prior to serialization.

4.	Section 2.4.1. The inserted text before the two ed-notes doesn't
seem quite right to me. The means of optimization is in-scope ( you use
the include element/MIME part serialization ). It's the means of
determining which additional elements to optimize which is out-of-scope.

5.	Section 3.1. I'm not convinced that use of the inclusion
mechanism is optional.

6.	Section 4.3.1. I thought we decided in Sophia-Antipolis that
Content-Type would be multipart/related, at least for the 'outer'
packaging.

Nits

7.	Section 1.2 There is some text missing at the end of the
inserted sentence.

8.	Section 2.3. There is text missing at the end of the sentence
inserted into the second ednote.

9.	Section 2.4.1 s/reconstrcuted/reconstructed

10.	Section 3.3,2 s/xbinc:include/xbinc:Include ( for consistency )

11.	Section 3.3.2 Bullet 3. s/The serialization/each serialization

12.	Section 3.3.3 s/correpsonding/corresponding

13.	Section 3.3.3 s/reconstuction/reconstruction