RE: Optimisations other than Base64

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:04:24 -0400
To: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mark.nottingham@bea.com>, "'Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> 1. Should MTOM accommodate encodings/optimizations other than base64?
>     a. If so, should the list be open-ended (i.e., extensible)?

I think so. base64, while popular, is decidedly "old-tech". Maybe there
will be some new outcome from the binary XML discussions, maybe other
technologies can be applied in other "transfer syntax" configurations,
to use an ASN.1 term. The important thing is to get everyone agreeing on
how such configurations are designated and to define a
lowest-common-denominator. Special applications (high performance,
low-bandwidth, etc.) are likely to have different needs.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.
\\ http://www.datapower.com - XS40 XML Security Gateway