Re: AFTF requirements list with comments, pre-2003/01/28 telcon (revised)

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:17:22 -0500
To: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Cc: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org, xml-dist-app-request@w3.org

Marc Hadley writes:

>> Isn't chunking is a solution to streaming rather than a requirement ?

Agreed.  Actually, I think it may be viewed as a solution to interleaved
streams, in which more than one stream makes progress at a time, perhaps
in a manner that's correlated at the application level (e.g. television
frames with metadata about each interleaved.)  I've always been a bit
nervous that SOAP isn't well engineered to facilitate this.  I think it
basically didn't make the 80/20 cut.  I'm very much on the fence whether
it's a good requrirement to adopt now, as I suspect that doing it only at
the attachment level begs a lot of questions about the higher level
abstraction supported (which is really your point, I think.) Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142