Re: AFTF requirements, pre-2003/01/31 telcon

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:39:01 +0600
To: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, <jones@research.att.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

"Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com> writes:

> We would like to add another DR for discussion. This is essentially a
> rewording of my earlier infoset related requirement in concrete form. I
> will still be submitting a comment on the abstract feature spec.
>
> DRXX - A message with all its parts, however separated physically, must
> be representable as a single infoset and describable as a single XML
> element in an XML schema.

Is this more a WSDL level requirement or a packaging requirement? If
its the latter, isn't it basically saying the packaging must be a
single XML element?

Even if the serialization of each of the parts is in XML, why do you
want to preclude the following model:
    <soap:envelope>
      <soap:body>
        <the main thing goes here/>
        <"attachment" 1 goes here/>
        <"attachment" 2 goes here/>
      </soap:body>
    </soap:envelope>

Or is this kind of packaging supported in your requirement? (I can't
tell.) Does it preclude a MIME (e.g., SwA) packaging?

Sanjiva.