RE: What is a SOAP message; a proposed WSA view

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:06:29 -0500
To: "'Laird A Popkin'" <laird@io.com>, "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> IMO, an HTTP PUT and an HTTP POST mean very different things.

In HTTP, but of course not all agree that HTTP+SOAP has the same
application semantics as HTTP carrying documents.

> A PUT is an
> instruction to store the contents of the PUT in a file. A POST is an
> instruction to take the contents of the POST and process it,
> and return a
> response. Sending a SOAP message using POST makes sense.
> Sending a SOAP
> message using PUT seems odd -- it's unlikely that you'd mean
> to store a
> SOAP message on a server rather than to process it.

Well, what if I'm using synchronous SOAP+HTTP to deliver messages to a
disk-backed message queue?  Should I use an HTTP-PUT then, since the
proximate destination is "storing to disk", to be followed, at a later
time, by processing?

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.