QName or NCName for Expanded Names?

From: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:52:57 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

The Editors' draft of part 1 says:

   This specification uses the term XML Expanded Name to refer to the value
   space pair {absolute uri reference,local-name} for a value of type
   xsd:NCName. Similar terminology is under consideration for inclusion in
   future versions of Namespace in XML [Namespaces in XML]. Should future
   versions of namespace in XML [Namespaces in XML] adopt alternative
   terminology, we anticipate that corresponding changes will be made to
   this recommendation in the form of an erratum, or in conjunction with
   some other future revision.

Please remind me, why does this refer to xsd:NCName instead of xsd:QName?
(Indeed, it's not clear to me why we refer to either here, since exanded
name can in principle be used for the {uri,local} pair regardless of
origin, I would think.)  Thanks!

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142