RE: concatenating web services

From: Don Box <dbox@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:01:51 -0800
To: "Rand Anderson" <randerson@macgregor.ws>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

on.

Yes they can. This is by design.

> That certainly has value by itself (e.g., for mixing transports along
the
> way), but allowing the intermediaries to do something 'interesting' to
the
> message contents along the way holds the power of enabling a
decentralized
> form of simple orchestration, a pipelining. And it parallels many
real-
> world
> semantics of process flow.

Absolutely. That stated, SOAP doesn't draw a hard line on when that
message being sent from A->B->C->D->E->F->G becomes two (or more)
distinct messages and when it is just a single message along a long-ish
message path.

My favorite example in this space is whether or not the "server" in a
request/reply scenario is just an intermediary that does some work as
the client sends the request message to itself.

> Of course, I was just exploring what seemed to be some interesting
ground
> here...Are you saying that WS-Routing should not be used for this
(i.e.,
> counts as 'twisted' ;)?

Not at all. We designed WS-Routing to help generalize some of the
plumbing for these scenarios (and others).

> If so, do you have something fundamental against the concept of
pipelining
> services?

No way! Smart intermediaries are goodness.