Re: [AF] relative URIs for attachments

From: John J. Barton <John_Barton@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:47:01 -0700
To: "Herve Ruellan" <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

I haven't followed your work in detail, but perhaps the following suggestion
will be helpful:

At 02:27 PM 9/12/2002 +0200, Herve Ruellan wrote:

>I don't think we should change the definition of a Secondary Part which is
>currently (i.e. keep URI, and do not replace it by URI reference):
><current>
>Secondary Part
>
>A document or entity related to the primary SOAP message part in some
>manner. A secondary part is a resource in the sense that it has identity
>and is identified by a URI. The representation of the resource can be of
>any type and size. Secondary parts are informally referred to as attachments.
></current>

This definition uses five different nouns as synonyms for "secondary part":
document, entity, resource,
representation, and attachment.  Of these the only one that makes sense to
most readers is
"attachment".  An attachment can be, eg, an executable program: not much
like a document.
An "entity" adds nothing.  Both "resource" and "representation" lead to
such an involved discussion
amongst Web experts that the value of these words in a useful specification
has to be questioned.

Perhaps you will consider starting over:
<proposed>
Secondary Part

A collection of bits referenced by a URI in the primary SOAP message and
transferred along with that message.  Secondary parts
related to SOAP messages as "attachments" related to e-mail messages.
</proposed>

John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100