RE: New AFTF draft.

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:42:52 -0700
To: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Carine Bournez" <carine@w3.org>, "Christopher B Ferris" <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "Herve Ruellan" <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>

There is no fixed or named mention of a server in the relationship
between a URI and a resource, for example as illustrated in [1]. REST
introduces a set of constraints that provides an architectural style for
accessing resources but you will note that not even HTTP [2] supports
the notion that a resource is *defined* by an origin server. An origin
server merely provides a means for accessing the resource, from [2],
section 1.3:

   resource
      A network data object or service that can be identified by a URI,
      as defined in section 3.2. Resources may be available in multiple
      representations (e.g. multiple languages, data formats, size, and
      resolutions) or vary in other ways.

   origin server
      The server on which a given resource resides or is to be created.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Model.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt