Re: Comments on SOAP 1.2 Attachment Feature

From: Herve Ruellan <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:15:55 +0200
To: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org

Marc,

Marc Hadley wrote:
> On the editorial front I would like to recommend redressing the balance
> between MIME and DIME by adding a reference to the SOAP with Attachments
> note[1] rather than just MIME itself. I would also recommend that the
> bibliography entries for WS-Attachments, WS-Security and SOAP with
> Attachments be moved to a new section; "Non-normative References" in
> line with approach taken for parts 1 and 2 of the spec.

I think that as a reference to the SOAP with Attachments note is a much
asked thing, we should add it in the spec. I would be all the more
inclined to do it if we create a new section "Non-normative References"
as you suggest.

> On the technical front I wonder whether the spec should require/specify
> support for at least the CID[3] referencing scheme, rather than punting
> this completely to the packaging spec specification. This wouldn't
> preclude a packaging spec introducing additional referencing schemes but
> would provide at least a minimum of functionality common to all
> packaging specs.

I don't think we should include a CID referencing scheme in the
specification. I think the URI scheme used in a particular packaging
spec depends both on the packaging mechanism used and on the goal or
intent of the spec writer. I think that in some cases supporting a
specific URI scheme might be an hindrance for some packaging specs.

Regards,

Hervé.