Comments on SOAP 1.2 Attachment Feature

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:51:08 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

Overall I think it looks OK though I share many of the concerns raised
by Chris Ferris[1].

On the editorial front I would like to recommend redressing the balance
between MIME and DIME by adding a reference to the SOAP with
Attachments note[1] rather than just MIME itself. I would also
recommend that the bibliography entries for WS-Attachments, WS-Security
and SOAP with Attachments be moved to a new section; "Non-normative
References" in line with approach taken for parts 1 and 2 of the spec.

On the technical front I wonder whether the spec should require/specify
support for at least the CID[3] referencing scheme, rather than punting
this completely to the packaging spec specification. This wouldn't
preclude a packaging spec introducing additional referencing schemes
but would provide at least a minimum of functionality common to all
packaging specs.

Regards,
Marc.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jul/0233.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments
[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2111.txt

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Sun Microsystems.