RESTful

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:48:31 -0400
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "'Dan Brickley'" <danbri@w3.org>, Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

Hi Stuart,

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 11:17:32AM +0100, Williams, Stuart wrote:
> BTW - I preceded RESTful with 'so-called' not to be disrespectful, but
> because I think that Fieldings REST Architectural *Style* has broader
> application than the world of http accessible resource - ie. its about more
> than just the resources that support GET, PUT, POST, DELETE... e.g. consider
> the sorts of resources identified by URI from none http schemes eg.
> telnet:example.org, ldap:example.org ...

REST doesn't preclude other systems from using specific interfaces, but
those are not part of REST.  REST's connector semantics can be used to
access any resource, in any scheme.  It defines the most generic
interface possible, so you need look no further for "broader
application" than HTTP's methods. 8-)

Roy wrote;

  'If an application needs the additional capabilities of another
   architecture, it can implement and invoke those capabilities as a
   separate system running in parallel, similar to how the Web
   architecture interfaces with "telnet" and "mailto" resources.'

-- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_3_2

MB