RE: Proposal for issue 277 - part 2

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:31:11 -0700
To: "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Cc: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "Herve Ruellan" <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>If you wanted to version a header block would you
>
>(i) just change the localname to something new or
>(ii) change the namespace and possibly also the localname ?
>
>My instinct would be for (ii).

This is a good question and it goes right to the heart of the dreadful
problem of versioning. To be honest, I am not sure either way is
particularly useful as it breaks backwards compatibility regardless of
whether the local name changes or the namespace URI changes. Maybe a
related question is whether we from a SOAP POW have to care either way?

Henrik