From: Nilo Mitra (EUS) [mailto:Nilo.Mitra@am1.ericsson.se]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 08:55
To: 'noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com'
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: RE: Proposal for new last call issue: Some unprocessed headers
should stay

Noah et al:
In a part of your proposal, you wrote:
<snip>
> Another possibility that has been raised would be to change the
> default behavior to be: "leave in place any header entries that are
> not processed".
I wonder what the opposition is to this solution. It seems to be the
simplest.
Could you, or someone else, provide some rationale on why this might not
fit the bill?
> Optionally, we could additionally define a
> relayIfProcessed override if the group felt it to be worth the
> trouble.  My impression is that some who have considered changing the
> default rules like the idea, but some feel that it doesn't meet a need

> to have headers that do indeed disappear when unprocessed.
What was the rationale for unprocessed headers (targeted at "next") to
disappear?

> For the
> record, I quite like the idea, but (a) am not ready to take
> the lead in
> pushing it in the face of any significant opposition and (b) would not

> want to go back to last call if this were deemed a serious change--
> I'm not sure it is.
Is there indeed significant opposition to it?
I can't see how changing the default handling for non-MU headers
targeted
at next can be seen as a go-back-to-last-call issue.
Thanks
Nilo